Naegleria fowleri amoeba: What it is and why it is dangerous.

Naegleria fowleri amoeba: What is the entire case about?

On Tuesday, South Korea reported the first case of infection from the deadly Naegleria fowleri, or “brain-eating amoeba,” from a 50-year-old Korean citizen who recently returned from Thailand, as reported by Korea Times. The patient died from symptoms of infection 10 days after showing up for the routine checkup.

The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) has stated that the man had stayed in Thailand for four months and entered South Korea on December 21. The following day, he presented to the emergency department with symptoms including headache, vomiting, neck stiffness, and dysarthria.

The man couldn’t survive on December 21. To determine the exact cause of his death, the health department conducted a series of tests, which ultimately proved that he died due to an infection caused by the Naegleria fowleri amoeba.

What is Naegleria fowleri amoeba?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Naegleria is a type of amoeba that is a single-celled organism, and one species, known as Naegleria fowleri, has the ability to infect humans. This particular amoeba was identified in Australia in 1965, and it is commonly found in warm freshwater habitats, such as hot springs, rivers, and lakes.

Naegleria fowleri amoeba

How does Naegleria fowleri enter the body?

This amoeba enters the body through the nose and begins to infect it when it reaches the brain, and it shuts down that part of the brain. It can also reach the brain through the consumption of contaminated water or by bathing in it through the nose.

And to inform you, only 4 people have survived from this amoeba so far because there is currently no specific treatment available for it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *